Wednesday, December 29, 2010

ADVERSITY

-this post was written by Thomas-


ADVERSITY INTRODUCES A MAN TO HIMSELF



Just found the quote above and I'm really liken it.



Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:8-10





Adversity has a way of drawing out pride, fear, and insecurity from within me and exposing them. No wonder it is God's tool of choice to purify my faith. Now it's my job not to veil or mask my weakness during adversity but instead focus on the strength God offers me in Christ. When I'm facing adversity it's so easy to either act like I'm invincible or cry like a baby. I want to find that balance that says, "That hurt - but I will continue to focus on Jesus with all my might" It's hard to find heroes who do that. Many people just act like they are superman until one day they quit.



I'm using this note to try to figure out exactly what words I should use to describe the day I've had. And I know that many people I've discipled are watching my life closely right now. And for those who I've asked to watch and learn from the laboratory of my life about faith and calling - I want to be honest with you. Today was tough. I hate the unexpetected, out of control, last minute complications of life. I hate listening to someone I don't know tell me when I get to resume my dream. My initial frustration, anxiety, and disappointment faded into the raw truth that I really didn't appreciate God messing with my plans. Which led to the quick conviction that the previous sentence has an incorrect pronoun. "My" doesn't belong in front of plans when you're a believer. The one who owns me, and the universe gets to own the plans too. The point of this rambling is that my frustration was just a manifestation of my pride. The privilege of serving Him should be much more important and fulfilling to me than my travel itinerary. If I can just keep that mindset. . .



Please don't misinterpret this blog as a plea for sympathy. I am trying to allow honesty and transparency to be gifts I offer to a certain number of HARD CORE, JESUS FREAK, KINGDOM MINDED young people who are serious about calling and the journey involved. They are a constant inspiration to me and I owe it to them to be honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment