Sunday, November 3, 2013

have you seen the "sicklips?!"

I was enjoying a restful Sunday afternoon reading in bed.  I had noticed that the words on the page were getting harder and harder to see, and I thought, "Good grief - how is it already evening?" (Here on the equator, the sun always sets right around 7pm.)  But when I glanced at my watch, it was only 5:20.  At that moment, Reynah ran into the room, her eyes huge and bright.

Reynah:  "MAMA, have you seen the sicklips?!  Come see the sicklips!

Me:  What in the world are you talking about?

Reynah:  THE SICKLIPS! (exasperated sigh)  It's on Joshua's veranda.  The sun and the moon are fighting and the sun is eating the moon.  Come SEEEeee! (pulling my arm)


Sure enough, there was the "sicklips" - at least, that's what it sounded like our Ugandan neighbors were calling it as they gave an exciting narrative of the sun and moon "duking it out."  They were very cleverly looking at it through their X-ray prints.  Apparently, here in Uganda, you get to take your X-rays home with you and make a collection.  And, apparently, one of the best viewing spots in the world to see a total eclipse today is in northern Uganda.  I just read that online.  Thomas is just now coming home from northern Uganda, so he was in the lucky spot... but not so lucky to have a X-ray handy to view it through... or a play-by-play commentary.  :)


So, did you get to see the sicklips in your corner of the world today?

1 comment:

  1. I love the picture of the moon,.. thanks for sharing us the beauty of nature. God Bless! TheFamily

    ReplyDelete